Thursday, February 5, 2009

I'm running The Texas Half in Dallas this Saturday. In celebration of race-week nutrition, training, etc, I have decided to post a little ode to technical apparal.

You know how they advertise "cotton...the fabric of our lives..." WRONG. Not for a runner. For a runner, cotton is one of the most deplorable fabrics of all time! It clings, sticks, and stinks, and doesn't wick, dry, or breathe. Thus...the wonders of DRI-FIT, polyester-spandex blend, environmentally UN-friendly technical fabrics. Once you say goodbye to cotton...there is NO return...
So you thought running was just about the shoes? Let me introduce you to a whole new world...

First of all, the shoe. These happen to be my perfect shoe. Let me just say that NIKE does NOT do the running shoe well though they are my fav for all other tech-apparal. Along w/ running shoe shopping comes a whole vocabulary w/ words like "mid-foot support", "overpronation", and "advanced cushioning system".

Then the shorts...Now I know we all love and know the Nike Split Track. But let me tell you SIZING is the big deal here. Too small, they ride up, especially if you are blessed w/ curves like I am. Too big, and there isn't enough coverage in the middle and HELLO CHAFING! These are best for sunny, warm days...over 60 degrees.
My new found love...the running capri. With these you get maximum movement, minimal chafing and less sweating. Negatives...if you want to carry your phone for safety, these make it a bit difficult.






For cold days, we're talking less than about 38 degrees or lower, especially when you run in the dark at 6 am, the compression tights are the best option. Like the capris, great for movement. But I've worn these on a long run where my ending temp was in the 50s and it was HOOOTT.

Ah the singlet. The liberating feeling of running without sleeves just MIGHT be one of the most euphoric experiences in life. I'm not kidding. Plus, you get a great tan! Mine is a pretty blue color...not this yucky black.Ok, so I think every female needs to ditch the old high school/college/youth group t-shirts and purchase one of these UnderArmour Tees. They will REVOLUTIONIZE your workout experience. I'm serious, I was all about the old Zeta tees at the gym and then I got one of these. The breathability is amazing! The only downside is they can get kind of stinky post-workout.Who knew that Dri-fit around your head made a difference? Again, I was true blue w/ my pink Baylor hat and got a hat like this one. Somehow, it holds my sweat yet stays dry all at the same time. And I think the fact that it is white makes it a great sun reflector. Ok, no more excuses against the cold! One of these little puppies will keep your ears and head so nice and toasty on cold days! I have a pretty purple and pink one.This is the one thing I have not purchased but is next on my list...right now I'm wearing some apparent "moisture wicking" cheapos from Kohls. Which comes the one downfall to this post...tech apparal is PRICEY. Even socks, which I didn't get into, can run into $10 or $12 a pair. But I figure, these are items I am wearing several times a week...I definitely get more wear out of them than most of my other clothing items. Whatever the cost, tech apparal is worth it. There really isn't a comparison. And no trying to get those cheaper brands they sell at sports stores...somehow, there is a difference. Although my one paradox is that I have one favorite sports bra...and it was $8 at Walmart.

1 comment:

jessandkyle said...

I hope you did well at the race! I'm so sorry I never responded to your text. Kyle caught the flu and I've been caring for him all week!! Its been horrible. I'm a bad friend and feel bad. I hope you will forgive me!